Garachico lies in the north-east of Tenerife in the region of Icod-Daute-Isla Baja, covering 29.28 km2 (11.3 sq miles). At least half of that area is covered with Canarian pine trees, volcanic scenery and an ancient cliff that separates the historic quarter from the hills. Garachico has a wealth of architectural heritage from the 16th and 17th century which has been kept in wonderful condition, leading it to be declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1994. It was also granted the status of “Villa” (which is roughly equivalent to the British status of Borough) and Port by King Alfonso XIII in 1916.
On the coast of the municipality there are several vast estates with banana groves, whilst the farmland on the hillsides was mainly used to supply the families who farmed it. The town also has a recently built marina by the historic quarter, as well as a series of beaches made of pebbles and black sand, and various cliff faces. Special mention should be made of the natural swimming pools of El Caletón, one of the most popular bathing areas, as well as the impressive rock formation rising from the sea in front of them.
After the conquest of Tenerife, Garachico became the main fishing and trade port on the Island until it was destroyed by the volcanic eruption. This golden age drew many highly influential families to settle here, which is apparent from the wealthy layout of its streets and buildings.
Source: Tenerife Tourist Board