Casa de los Molinos
Only one flour mill in the municipality can still be visited. Located below ground level, it often goes unnoticed because of the urban development around it, but it has an interesting exhibition on the municipality’s volcanic activity. The rest of the mills in the area which were powered by the water that flowed through the canals disappeared in the 19th century.
Casa de los Ponte
This 18th century palace-like building belonged to the Ponte family who founded Garachico. It was built on the land where a family home once stood before it went up in flames. The Ponte house has since been converted into a hotel.
Casa del Marqués de la Quinta Roja
The house was built in the late 16th century and rebuilt in the 17th century by the Marquise of Quinta Roja. It was also used as temporary accommodation for the Franciscan monks and is currently a cosy country hotel.
Franciscan Conceptionist monastery
Since this religious community began their life in seclusion in 1643, the building has lived through being narrowly missed by a tongue of lava in 1706, a fire three years later and the force of the raging sea in 1856. Despite all of these catastrophes, this is the only monastery that still stands in Garachico. Its sober white façade is adorned with a lovely stone archway and a series of coats of arms. The small chapel inside is presided over by an altarpiece with a figure of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción.
Monument in honour of Simón Bolívar
Located in Plaza de la Libertad, this statue is the work of Juan Jaén Díaz. It was inaugurated in 1970 and was the first sculpture in Spain devoted to this Venezuelan figure whose predecessors were born in Garachico.
Mother Church of Santa Ana
This parish church was built in 1520 on a plot of land that was handed over to the Church by the founder of Garachico, Cristóbal de Ponte. His wife, Ana de Vergara, inspired the name of the church. Despite being seriously damaged in the eruption of 1706, it was restored to its former grandeur. Its most significant assets are the figure of Cristo de la Misericordia from Mexico and the 17th century baptismal font.
Palace House of the Counts of La Gomera
Also known as Casa de Piedra (the Stone House), its most interesting feature is its stone façade. Its construction was commissioned between the 16th and 17th century, though it was later refurbished in 1706 after the eruption.
Puerta de Tierra Park
Inside the park is the old gateway that marked the entrance to the harbour in the 16th century. The park also allows visitors to get a close-up look at the old wine press that belonged to the San Juan Degollado estate, as well as a corner devoted to the poet Rafael Alberti, who visited the town in 1991.
San Miguel Castle Fortress
In 1575, King Philip II decided to build this castle to defend the coast, protect Garachico’s riches and keep it safe from invaders. In 1999 the castle was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest.
Santo Domingo Dominican Monastery
Because of the monastery’s location it managed to survive the eruption of 1706, which left its beautiful façade with its seven balconies unscathed. Today, it houses a home for the elderly, a contemporary art museum and the Municipal Auditorium.
The Chapel of San Roque
The chapel was built by the residents of Garachico themselves in the early 17th century and stands at the entrance to the town centre. The building has a simple rectangular base, a hipped roof and a stone archway over the main door.
Source: Tenerife Tourist Board