From 1505–1510 Don Lope de Salazar, built the chapel, on which the current church is based, and he placed two images: St. Andrew the Apostle, by special devotion, and Saint Lucy, in honor of the name of his wife. St. Andrew Church (Iglesia de San Andrés) was constructed on a structure from an earlier period. Also in San Andrés one finds a former castle, which was built to defend Tenerife of the assaults of the pirates.
A fortress used to exist, with a tower built in 1706, but was destroyed by storms in 1740 and 1896.
In 1973 the administration brought 4 million bags of Sahara sand to the island into the Las Teresitas beach and improved the infrastructure. The Spanish court stopped larger tourist properties in 1984.
In a cave on the outskirts of this locality was discovered the famous Mummy of San Andrés, a mummified body belonging to the guanche culture. It is now held in the Museum of the Nature and the Man in the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The Valle de San Andrés hosted Beneharo, aboriginal king of Menceyato of Anaga.
In nearby Macizo de Anaga one finds the zone of “El Bailadero”, so named because, according to the old legends, it was the place where witches danced around bonfires and practiced witchcraft.