Barranco del Infierno
The trail along Hell’s Ravine (Barranco del Infierno) sets off from an altitude of 350 m (1,150 ft), right in the heart of the municipality of Adeje, and it is classed as a Special Nature Reserve and as a Tourist Interest Site. The walk along the trail is intermediate-hard and it takes approximately three hours to cover the 6 km (3.7 mile) distance to the end and back. Hikers will discover a wealth of plant and animal species on their way to the waterfall at the end, which flows all year round.
This old fortress building was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest on 7 February 1986 and was classed as a Historic-Artistic Monument. Construction began in 1555 commissioned by Pedro de Ponte with the aim of fending of English and French pirates. In 1655, it became the base of the jurisdictional estate that was entrusted to Juan Bautista de Ponte Fonte y Pagés, the first lord and Marquise of Adeje.
Church of the Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe y San Pablo Monastery.
This building was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest on 7 February 1986 and was classed as a Historic-Artistic Monument. The church has a rectangular base and comprises one large nave and a main chapel. Leading to the chapel is a stone triumphal arch supported by two stone columns topped with Corinthian capitals beneath a Baroque entablature. Adorning the structure is a coffered ceiling made of Tea pine wood and the coat of arms of Juan Bautista de Ponte Fonte y Pagés set in marble on a Baroque beam over the main entrance.
Plaza de España
The square of Plaza de España was redesigned in 2011 but has always been and remains a place for gatherings, resting, playing and celebrating. Two of Adeje’s major Cultural Interest Sites – the Church of Santa Úrsula and the Monastery – are at the entrance to the square, which opens out over the Natural Landscape of Barranco del Infierno.
Santa Úrsula Church
This building was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest on 7 February 1986 and was classed as a Historic-Artistic Monument. The church is comprised of two naves that were built in different periods. Its special features include the Mudejar-style ceilings, the ornate sgraffito work decorating the top of some of the outer rims and the cult image crowning the bell gable, which is popularly known as the Head of Juan Centeno.
The Old San Sebastián Chapel
This chapel is also known as the chapel of La Encarnación or La Enramada, as it was here that the figure of the Virgin of La Encarnación was brought after she was found on the beach of La Enramada. This plain early 16th century chapel was rebuilt in 1558 by Pedro de Ponte.
Water Mill (Molino Viejo)
The water mill you will find at the start of the trail through the Barranco del Infierno (Hell’s Ravine) is known as Molino Viejo (Old Mill). This mill was powered by the water from the ravine as it flowed through the canal that was built in the first half of the 16th century. The mill is also believed to date from around that time.